Roman Rolland once said, "It's the artist's job to create sunshine when there isn't any."
Welcome to my world.
I'm a student, a wolverine (grrr), an artist, a reader, a fiancee, a daughter and these are my thoughts...

February 13, 2010

Time for Reading


I've come to realize that, despite or perhaps because of, my crazy schedule and life, I need to start making more time to read.  Really read.  Novels, not textbooks or scholarly articles.  Reading is my most treasured activity.  I learned to read before starting kindergarten and have never looked back.  I read at a disturbingly fast pace, yet have trouble comprehending text of the non-fiction sort.  Therefore, novels give me the freedom to read and let my mind wander though the story.  So, I need to do a 'book talk' for my elementary education literacy class in April but I decided to reread my story for it now.  That way, its relaxing but I could defend it as school work :)  I've chosen to read The Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong.  This Newbery Medal book holds a special place in my heart due to its setting in the Netherlands.  My grandparents are from the Netherlands and there are so many cultural things in this endearing story that ring so familiar for me.  So, I'm off to read and dream of the Old Country, a place I hope to finally see in about a year and a half.  Get ready for some tulip inspired art!

No comments:

Post a Comment