Roman Rolland once said, "It's the artist's job to create sunshine when there isn't any."
Welcome to my world.
I'm a student, a wolverine (grrr), an artist, a reader, a fiancee, a daughter and these are my thoughts...

July 22, 2010

Another Book :)

While on vacation, I finished People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.  It was a fabulous summer read.  Absolutely wonderful.  Maybe its because of my nerdy interest in the subject, but I loved it :)  The book is the story of a book, a very rare book to be specific.  The Sarajevo Haggadah is found in Bosnia and leading book conservator, Hanna Heath, is called into restore the volume for display.  Inside its pages, she finds several interesting fragments, such as a white hair and a grain of sea salt.  She begins to investigate the origins of the fragments and the journey the book took through the ages.  In conjunction with Hanna's story, the book flashes back to the book's story of how each object showed up caught in its pages and binding.  Of course, there is family drama and a little love story too but all in all, its a story of history that unfolds beautifully, as the pages of a book, as it were :)  I love the idea of a book or artifact having a story beyond just the historical significance of the text.  Each book comes from somewhere and traveled along its own journey though people's lives.  This book was fascinating and I recommend it as a quick and yet intellectual read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment